Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

Hi Dmitry,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 05:40:46PM +1000, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 July 2018 10:50:20 AM AEST Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I think this naming, and the iconography, is all very unfortunate.
> > IMO it is not compatible with Debian's Diversity Statement (which as
> > ou know was ratified by an overwhelming majority of DDs).
>
> You are overreacting. Name of the package may be tasteless but still not bad
> enough to justify exclusion. I fear of misuse of diversity statement to
> justify morally distorted decisions against something mild like this
> particular case.

I disagree that this is "mild".

weboob itself is fine, maybe. But there are various other binaries
inside the weboob packages that aren't, at least not so much:

wetboobs
handjoob
boobsize
boobtracker

like, seriously.

> Here is an example: I'm aware of legal human name that is offensive and
> inappropriate in another language. Nobody in the right mind would use
> diversity statement against people with such names. Even bringing such matter
> to attention of a person is awkward to say the least and may be even
> insulting on its own.
> Asking person to change his name because it is unpleasant to us would be
> beyond rude.

This is true, but not relevant to the issue at hand (which is about
weboob).

[...]

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab