Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

On Thursday, 19 July 2018 10:50:20 AM AEST Ian Jackson wrote:
> I think this naming, and the iconography, is all very unfortunate.
> IMO it is not compatible with Debian's Diversity Statement (which as
> ou know was ratified by an overwhelming majority of DDs).

You are overreacting. Name of the package may be tasteless but still not bad
enough to justify exclusion. I fear of misuse of diversity statement to
justify morally distorted decisions against something mild like this
particular case.

Here is an example: I'm aware of legal human name that is offensive and
inappropriate in another language. Nobody in the right mind would use
diversity statement against people with such names. Even bringing such matter
to attention of a person is awkward to say the least and may be even
insulting on its own.
Asking person to change his name because it is unpleasant to us would be
beyond rude.

Let's just leave the matter alone please. If contributors find it
sufficiently repulsive to maintain the package then you will be able to
remove (unmaintained) package soon enough. Otherwise we can say that
usefulness of the package outweighs its bad naming.

Another argument is that many things in older literature, fairy tales and
religious texts may be considered offensive these days. Yet banning those
things would be wrong and would cause far greater damage to freedoms.

If we were operating a restaurant, would you suggest to remove all non-
vegetarian meals from the menu because some of our customers are vegetarians?
Surely they may consider meat to be offensive but normally it is enough to be
respectful to people's rights not to use whatever they consider inappropriate
to them.

I'd much rather not waste any time to facilitate or justify useless renaming
like "fsckeditor" to "ckeditor", etc.

--
Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
        -- Friedrich Nietzsche