salvaging packages, was Re: Lucas Kanashiro and Athos Ribeiro salvaged my package

Hi

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 09:43:10AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
[snip]

I remember that this discussion comes up quite regularly (no statistic
but to my feeling once a year).  I'd love if we could give fix rules to
yes, yes, yes. I remember this conversation starting and fading every year or so (maybe each release cycle?. It doesn't matter)

the process of salvaging a package (or am I missing that this was just
done).  I think the preconditions should contain something like:

 (
  * RC buggy (mandatory feature for salvaging a package)

I'd put a note that discourages people from increasing the severity of a bug to RC and then take over the package maintenance
     or
  * No uploads for > 365 days *and* lagging behind upstream
 )
     and
  * Public attempt to contact the former maintainer (be it as
    response to the RC bug or for instance CCed to debian-devel
    list)

It should be also mandatory that the salvaged package gets Vcs-fields
pointing to salsa.debian.org to enable any interested person to

I'd go even further and require a specific workflow to be followed or a choice between 2-3 workflows. (e.g. don't switch d/rules to cdbs, use
git)

contribute.  The former Maintainer may not be removed from d/control.
If the salvage is done by a team that should be used as maintainer and
the old maintainer moved to Uploaders.  The changelog owner of the
salvage upload should be added to Uploaders in any case to take over
responsibility for the work.

Opinions?

After the RC bug is open some time should be allowed to the maintainer to
act.
Just putting a number out there, 1 month after the package is removed from
testing _without_ activity in the bug from the maintainer process [1] could start.