Re: Lucas Kanashiro and Athos Ribeiro salvaged my package

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 09:10:34AM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Scott Kitterman writes:
> > Personally, I think people should be more annoyed at the people doing
> > the hijacking than the one they did it to.
>
> I thought this is called "salvage" now?

I remember that this discussion comes up quite regularly (no statistic
but to my feeling once a year).  I'd love if we could give fix rules to
the process of salvaging a package (or am I missing that this was just
done).  I think the preconditions should contain something like:

  (
   * RC buggy (mandatory feature for salvaging a package)
      or
   * No uploads for > 365 days *and* lagging behind upstream
  )
      and
   * Public attempt to contact the former maintainer (be it as
     response to the RC bug or for instance CCed to debian-devel
     list)

It should be also mandatory that the salvaged package gets Vcs-fields
pointing to salsa.debian.org to enable any interested person to
contribute.  The former Maintainer may not be removed from d/control.
If the salvage is done by a team that should be used as maintainer and
the old maintainer moved to Uploaders.  The changelog owner of the
salvage upload should be added to Uploaders in any case to take over
responsibility for the work.

Opinions?

Kind regards

       Andreas.