Re: hijack of gjots2 package

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 1:02 AM, Rolf Leggewie <foss@rolf.leggewie.biz> wrote:
> I am happy you and Athos want to contribute to Debian.  My beef is that
> you need to do it the proper way (failure #1).  And that you need to own
> up to and correct in a reasonable time frame mistakes you make (failure
> #2).

So you gave Lucas 4 days to act before you publicly shamed him. Did
you tell him about that deadline in advance?

Meanwhile, you haven't made an upload for your package in 4 years and
you *never* replied to https://bugs.debian.org/876571 (open for 7
months, and the bug that the failed NMU fixed and you reintroduced).

> I would not have made this public if you hadn't failed me the
> second time around as well, leaving me little time to push "RC bug"
> #876571 to bionic (yes, I do want that Recommends in there for that LTS).

Which one and why? You re-introduced 2 recommends, both of which are
not in Testing and at high risk of being removed from Ubuntu very
soon. (In other words, they are RC bugs in Ubuntu too.)

I guess the fact that Ubuntu 18.04 "bionic" will be released very soon
helps explains a bit your newfound sense of urgency with gjots2. But
let me suggest that since you have upload rights to Ubuntu, you could
have made your change in Ubuntu without needing to make the same
change in Debian at the same time.

Of course the other person you shamed did not have the ability to do
the action you demanded. All of us have made mistakes. I think we
should be a lot more forgiving to new contributors instead of telling
everyone that you will object if he ever applies to become a DM. I
strongly hope that Athos does continue contributing to Debian and does
apply to be a DM.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha