Re: Our build system may be broken: /bin vs /usr/bin

On 19 November 2018 at 16:59, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
| Am Mo., 19. Nov. 2018 um 16:52 Uhr schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>:
| >

| > Hi Ian,
| >
| > Thanks for the follow-up.

| > | This is the result of the change of the buildds to have `usrmerge', ie
| > | merged /bin and /usr/bin.  I think this shows that this change is
| > | generating RC bugs in packages, and should be reverted.
| >
| > That was very much my gut feel but I am a little removed from the more core
| > moving and shaking and I didn't know what changed recently.
| >
| > FWIW GNU R is an rather obsessively clean user of to the autotools stack, so
| > I would agree that it failing here is a good-enough proof for having to
| > possibly revisiting things in our stack. I would expect much more breakage to
| > follow.
|
| Ideally the build system would correctly detect an usr-merged system
| and set paths accordingly. While reverting the change on the build
| machines temporarily (e.g. until the next release is out) feels
| sensible, depending on how many issues we actually encounter, at some
| point we'll have to go through with it. And knowing what actually
| fails in this scenario and fixing the affected packages is a good
| thing to do.
| So, if you have the time, it might be useful to investigate whether
| you or upstream can tweak the build system to e.g. explicitly assume a
| split-user system even if the system the package is built on is
| usr-merged.

Absolutely. With a bit of forewarning I am sure we can accomodate this. I am
in good and close contact with the upstream maintainer of the autoconf code
who also runs Debian and could test.

What release / change cycle are we looking at for this?

| I wonder how this was handled on other distributions when they made
| the change - even if the change was applied on all systems, there must
| have been at least one release where both modes were supported.

Good quesion.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org