Re: Our build system may be broken: /bin vs /usr/bin

Am Mo., 19. Nov. 2018 um 16:52 Uhr schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks for the follow-up.
>
> On 19 November 2018 at 15:45, Ian Jackson wrote:
> | Dirk Eddelbuettel writes ("Our build system may be broken: /bin vs /usr/bin"):
> | > tl;dr:  We may be messing up /bin and /usr/bin on some platforms
> |
> | This is the result of the change of the buildds to have `usrmerge', ie
> | merged /bin and /usr/bin.  I think this shows that this change is
> | generating RC bugs in packages, and should be reverted.
>
> That was very much my gut feel but I am a little removed from the more core
> moving and shaking and I didn't know what changed recently.
>
> FWIW GNU R is an rather obsessively clean user of to the autotools stack, so
> I would agree that it failing here is a good-enough proof for having to
> possibly revisiting things in our stack. I would expect much more breakage to
> follow.

Ideally the build system would correctly detect an usr-merged system
and set paths accordingly. While reverting the change on the build
machines temporarily (e.g. until the next release is out) feels
sensible, depending on how many issues we actually encounter, at some
point we'll have to go through with it. And knowing what actually
fails in this scenario and fixing the affected packages is a good
thing to do.
So, if you have the time, it might be useful to investigate whether
you or upstream can tweak the build system to e.g. explicitly assume a
split-user system even if the system the package is built on is
usr-merged.

I wonder how this was handled on other distributions when they made
the change - even if the change was applied on all systems, there must
have been at least one release where both modes were supported.

Cheers,
    Matthias