Re: git vs dfsg tarballs

On 19.11.18 13:52, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Clearly the transformation on the *tree* can't be reversible because
> in the usual case it is deleting things.  So you'll need the history.

It certain can be, if you know the exact orig commit.
Maybe I wasn't really clear here: I wanna do a fully automatic import
into a git history (optimally, by just having package name and version).

> With most gitish workflows, the corresponding pre-dfsg upstream
> *commit* can be found with `git-merge-base', assuming you have some
> uploaded (or pushed) Debian commit and a suitable upstream branch.

It's not entirely trivial, if the maintainers are doing wild merges.
(eg. w/ kodi). Even worse: reconstructing the change history ontop
of some given upstream release is pretty complicated and manual.
Merging down from upstream into packaging branch (instead of just
a simple rebase) turns out as bad idea here.

>> My preferred way (except for rare cases where upstream history is
>> extremely huge - like mozilla stuff) would be just branching at the
>> upstream's release tag and adding commits for removing the non-dfsg
>> files ontop of that. From that branching the debianized branch,
>> where all patches are directly applied in git.
>
> I think that most of the workflows recommended in these manpages
>
>   https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-gbp.7.en.html
>   https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-merge.7.en.html
>   https://manpages.debian.org/stretch-backports/dgit/dgit-maint-debrebase.7.en.html

Yet complicated for me (especially regarding automating/CI).

Here're some examples on how my deb branches look like:

https://github.com/oss-qm/flatbuffers/commits/debian/maint-1.9.0
https://github.com/oss-qm/go/commits/debian/maint-1.11.1

* canonical ref names
* always based on the corresponding upstream's release tag
* changes directly as git commits - no text-based patches whatsoever
* generic changes below the deb-specific ones

While gbp can help a bit here and there, it still far away from an
fully-automated process.

I'm currently helping myself w/ lots of mappings and import scripts,
but I'd like to get rid of maintaining all these little pieces.

--mtx
--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info@metux.net -- +49-151-27565287