Re: salsa.debian.org: merge requests and such

On Tue, 06 Nov 2018 10:17:01 -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 03:00:03PM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
>>
>> Relatedly, what's the etiquette about commits to master? I recently
>> discovered that someone else had pushed a commit to the tip of master
>> of one of the packages I maintain (and not notified me); when I
>> complained I was told that emailing would be too much effort. Am I
>> wrong to feel that at least a MR is something I should have expected as
>> a package maintainer, not just commits to master?
>>
>> [I don't really mean to have a go at the person concerned; I'd just
>> like to know what to expect in future...]
>>
> That seems completely reasonable.  Making the repository accessible to
> others is a courtesy that should not be abused.  Pushing directly to the
> master branch of a package for which one is not an active maintainer or
> contributor is at a minimum impolite.

I disagree when it comes to the debian namespace, and the documentation
agrees with me[1].

I agree that one should exercise judgement: I wouldn't commit an
intrusive patch without discussing first. But there are many changes that
do not need discussion. But for example, about a month ago Ondřej Nový
changed the Format: url of d/copyright to use https on one of my packages
(and I assume a lot more), and didn't notify me. I don't think it is
reasonable to ask for coordination for this type of changes, and I would
agree that even notifying is too much effort if this was done salsa-wide.
Some fixes are better just done than talked about :).

BTW, thanks Ondřej Nový for those "editorial" fixes!

Additionally, if one is doing an NMU, I think that should be pushed to
salsa if the permissions allow it.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/Doc#Collaborative_Maintenance:_.
22Debian.22_group

--