Re: Confusing our users - who is supporting LTS?

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 09:41:43AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 01:02:57PM -0300, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> > I meant that we would say that stable is supported by the security
> > team.  And instead of saying that Jessie was supported by the LTS
> > team, we would say supported by Freexian.
>
> I would object to that, on the grounds that even though Freexian is
> currently the only company paying people to do LTS support, we should
> not encourage the idea that they have a monopoly on doing that.

I agree that more than one consultancy should/could provide resources
for LTS.

I find it inappropriate that that we (Debian) publicize solicitation of
donations to Freexian on debian.org websites [1] and, further, that we
the advertise their 'Extended LTS' commercial offering [2].

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Funding
[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Extended

> For the avoidance of doubt, I am not saying that Freexian is doing a
> bad job, or that they should be replaced, or anything of the sorts.

Nor am I, but I do not find the lack of distinction between Debian and
Freexian to be appropriate.

One way is for the funding for Debian LTS to flow through Debian's
Trusted Organizations, complete with the restrictions that might come
with that.

Another way is for Debian websites to not solicit for donations or to
advertise for their commercial offering (my preference).

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi