Re: Confusing our users - who is supporting LTS?

Hi Steve,

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> So I'm worried that those of us who have *not* volunteered to support
> LTS are being pressured into spending our time on it anyway. What can
> we do to fix that? How/where do we clarify for our users (and
> developers!) what LTS means, and what expectations are fair?

FWIW, I don't think that the right answer is to make LTS even more clearly
separate. We want to be able to say that Debian is supported for 5 years
and we don't want to have to put an asterisk pointing to a long list of
exceptions.

Instead we are rather aiming to integrate LTS more and more everywhere.
However, when LTS is becoming a burden on other teams, we should
definitely look how the LTS team can help to alleviate that burden.
Because as you know the LTS team has paid contributors to do that kind
of work.

I invite you to start a conversation between debian-lts and debian-cloud
to discuss how the LTS team can help you with the workload that you would
rather get rid of. Maybe we need to allocate some time each month to
update LTS images, maybe you need our help to improve your tooling to better
support LTS and that would be enough, etc. I don't know. Let's discuss.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer