Re: no{thing} build profiles

[I'm subscribed; please do not CC me.]

* Matthias Klumpp <matthias@tenstral.net> [181022 14:18]:
> Because having a real dependency eliminates another source of bugs.
> The library will throw weird (for unexperienced end-users) errors and
> they have to hunt down a solution for why something isn't working as
> they expect.

Why would a library give a weird error to a user?  It is the
application's responsibility to check the return code from the library
and provide an appropriate message to the user (e.g. "Unable to
initialize gpg library."), which should be sufficient for the end user
to track down the problem, even if the message is a bit cryptic to them
at first.  The point here is that it is still a bug in the software if
error messages are insufficient to correct the issue.  So if someone
reports "my application broke and I can't figure out what to do",
retitle the bug to "Error message given to user when libgpgme returns
failure is too cryptic."  It is still a bug, just a different one than
the user reported.

> The "Recommends" relation should work here in theory, in practice
> though people manage to remove stuff that was recommended by accident,

I think this is the key point.  Your experiences are obviously different
from mine, because I do not see accidental removal of recommended
packages very often.  However, I am willing to accept that it does
happen, and its likelihood probably depends on the organization (which
might be a personal one-user computer or a cluster of corporate servers)
and its admins.

> or even configure APT to never install recommends, and then end up
> with things not working (granted, in the latter case it's their own
> fault).

Right.

However, in both cases, abusing the dependency system to force the
installation of a package that the admin should be able to choose not to
install in specific situations is the wrong answer.

In a well-run organization, the admins either will install recommends as
the default, or they will be rather selective about choosing appropriate
dependencies to install or not install.  Further, their users will come
to them, not Debian, with problems.

Debian can't do anything about poorly-run larger organizations, and
should not abuse dependencies to try to fix them. :-P

That mostly leaves the single-user computer with a less experienced
user-admin.  I suspect that this is the source of the large majority of
this class of bug reports.  If you think about why they would configure
APT to not install recommends, it is likely because they have heard that
Debian has a reputation for inflating dependencies, and they don't
really need all the Recommended packages.  I think in some cases this
reputation either is or was justified.

So, what is the solution?  Keep inflating dependencies until everything
is Depends?  This is exactly the wrong solution.

There are at least two better responses to these "false" bug reports.
The first is to retitle and forward upstream as in my reply above.  The
second is to enhance reportbug to list recommended packages that are not
installed and encourage the user to try to reproduce the problem with
all recommended packages installed.  Also, reportbug can check the APT
configuration and nudge the user if appropriate as well as including it
in the bug report for the maintainer's information.

The problem with inflating Suggests to Recommends is that then people
routinely avoid installing Recommends.  However, inflating Recommends to
Depends is _much_ worse, because you have removed the admin's ability to
make informed choices.

Ignoring the policy definition of Recommends to avoid getting bug
reports from inexperienced users (or more experience users who are about
to have a palm-to-forehead moment) is simply and unequivocally wrong.

...Marvin