Re: no{thing} build profiles

Am So., 21. Okt. 2018 um 18:13 Uhr schrieb Marvin Renich <mrvn@renich.org>:

> * Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> [181021 06:05]:
> > On 2018-10-21, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
> > > I disagree that libgpgme11 should depend/recommend/suggest gnupg at all:
> > > As a library it cannot possibly declare how tight a relationship to
> > > declare - instead, all _consumers_ of the library must declare whether
> > > they depend/recommend/suggest gnupg.
> >
> > libgpgme is completely useless without gnupg. I think it is perfectly
> > fine for these kind of relations, unless we really are in corner-case
> > territory. See for example fam.
>
> I strongly agree with Jonas.  Upstream links to libgpgme as a .so to
> provide optional behavior.  This requires libgpgme to be installed in
> order to even run neomutt, whether the user wants the feature or not.
> It is perfectly reasonable to want to install neomutt but want to _not_
> install gnupg.
> [...]

libgpgme is communicating with gnupg in the background - having
libgpgme without gnupg itself will render the library completely
unusable and break existing users of the library.
Therefore, if you have something that wants libgpgme, you will also
always want gnupg installed to ensure the library functionality is
actually provided.

Also, gnupg/libgpgme are tiny, so you won't waste much disk space
here. No daemon gets run in the background as well, so I don't
understand the need to create lots of additional work to free up a
tiny amount of disk space. If you don't need the feature, don't use
it. If you do need the feature, great, it's readily available for you.

Cheers,
    Matthias