Re: no{thing} build profiles

 >> It can be argued that libgpgme11 does not “provide a significant
 >> amount of functionality” (7.2) without gnupg.

 > It won’t function at all without gnupg.

	As I’ve said before, having libgpgme11 installed enables me to
	install (neo)mutt.  It’s all the functionality that I need from
	that package.  If you know of a way to install the latter without
	also installing the former – I’d appreciate if you’d share.

	(There’s of course an easy way to install libgpgme11 without
	installing gnupg, which is via the equivs package.)

 >> However, and it seems to be a common practice in Debian, for a
 >> shared library package that ‘functionality’ can be understood first
 >> and foremost as /allowing the packages dependent on said shared
 >> library package to run correctly./  (The ubiquity of said practice
 >> is evident from how libmariadbclient18 does /not/ depend on MariaDB

 > That’s because a MariaDB client can be installed on a different
 > machine to a MariaDB server.

	Or not; it’s perfectly sensible to install libmariadbclient18
	on one host and have no MariaDB server running anywhere at your
	site.  It’s something I’ve been doing since before it was called
	‘MariaDB.’

	Similarly for, say, libaudio2: it was quite a while ago that
	I ran nasd(1), but I still have the library installed – simply
	because it allows me to install mpg123.  Or libavahi-client3,
	libdbus-1-3, libpulse0, and probably several other packages
	I cannot recall the names of right noow that I’m not interested
	in running the respective servers for anywhere on my network.

[…]

 > The same is not true for libgpgme11.

	I beg to differ, per the above.

--