Re: Bumping epoch and reusing package name "elisa"

On 2018-09-24 18:07:11 +0200 (+0200), W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Quoting Aurélien COUDERC <coucouf@coucouf.fr>:
> > I’m working on packaging Elisa, a modern and simple music player based
> > on the KDE Frameworks stack. [0][1]
> >
> > I initially named the package elisa, but such a package already existed
> > in the
> > archive in the past.
>
> In a similar case, I just renamed the package. There used to be
> dino, an "integrated MIDI piano roll editor and sequencer engine",
> and there is dino, a "modern XMPP client". I renamed the latter to
> "dino-im" (im = instant messaging). All problems solved.
[...]

Same here. When I introduced a package of the command-line utility
`weather` (in Etch) I named the source and binary packages
weather-util because there was a non-free game with the package name
"weather" in the archive three Debian releases earlier (removed
after Potato). I could have made the case for it, but packages names
are cheap and reusing a package name (no matter how old) is just a
recipe for headaches.
--
Jeremy Stanley