Re: Firefox 60esr on Stretch ?

On Thu, 10 May 2018, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 08:27:32PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > It would be nice to move away from using RC bugs as testing blockers,
> > but instead declare a source package as not suitable for stable (e.g.
> > in some meta data on ftp-master or in whatever tooling involved) and
> > then have a mechanism to yank all those packages out of testing once
> > we've entered a freeze.
>
> Interesting idea. Do we then not consider testing to be the proving
> ground for the next stable release, until freeze time?

While I can understand that dropping packages can have some effect on
other (remaining) packages, the packages we are speaking of are usually
leaf-packages or part of a relatively self-contained dependency tree.
So the consequences of dropping them are low.

> Do you think this would result in longer freezes, or not?

I don't think so. Removal of packages doesn't tend to uncover many
bugs.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer