Re: Removing Qt4 in Buster

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 08:05:53PM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 03:40:25PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
The rationale for keeping qt4 in the archive for me (same for gtk1,
gtk2, etc.) is so that people could continue to build or run
out-of-distro legacy software far into the future. It saddens me that I
could very likely run an arbitrary decade-old win32 program on a modern
Windows machine (although not win16 anymore!) but the rapid churn in
Linux land means we have no such similar story.
Just bundle the libs, as you would do on Windows, and you'll be fine (wrt
Qt, not wrt libc, but that's a separate problem). After all, running
software compiled on a different system was never fully supported even if
the dependencies were available.

I guess you are right that simply having the libs in the archive is not
sufficient for what I've described, but bundling them is a solution only
for the authors (or packagers) of the software we're talking about, not
future users.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland