Re: Removing Qt4 in Buster

Hi Jonathan!

On martes, 17 de octubre de 2017 08:49:58 -03 Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 03:29:31PM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez
>
> Meyer wrote:
> >Hi everyone! This is the required notice before starting with the mass
> >bug filling in order to *try* to remove Qt4 in Buster.
>
> It has only just occurred to me that if libressl is packaged for Debian
> (at least one other thread discussing this in the context of SSH) and
> libressl implements the OpenSSL 1.0 ABI, and the practically qt4 linked
> with libressl actually worked, then (assuming anyone is prepared to
> maintain it) qt4 could remain in Debian too.

No, we are actively working towards removing Qt4 from the archive during the
Buster cycle. In this case libressl might help giving it a little bit longer
life, but nothing more.

If someone tries to become it's new maintainer in order to keep it in the
archive then [s]he must know that it will also become the de-facto upstream
for a more than two years dead-upstream code.

--
Moore's Law: The speed of processors will double every 18 months.
Gate's Law: The speed of software will halve every 18 months.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/