Re: Debian built from non-Debian sources

Holger Levsen writes ("Re: Debian built from non-Debian sources"):
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 09:50:48PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > So do I understand it right that you are actively going to test the CD
> > build process in a long enough time before the release and send patches
> > in time to make sure the changes will be part of the release?
> >
> > If not - please stop trolling…
>
> I dont understand why this is seen as trolling. We are willing to delay our
> release for (certain) serious bugs and here I dont even see how there would
> be much delay, if we had the policy of say requiring a debian-cd upload
> (to sid) with the changes made to create the stable upload.
>
> I also think this is basically happening, just not per policy but per Sledge
> just doing that work.

IMO a better arrangement would be something that
  - did not involve any manual intervention by the image preparation team
  - ensured that the actual source code was published _somewhere_
  - automatically ensured that the generated image farm contains
    enough information to always reliably find the corresponding version

Even if the place where the files end up is not the Debian archive.

To look at this another way:

I think publishing the source is the vitally important part.  That
allows anyone else to reproduce what we have done.

Publishing the source _as a package in the Debian archive_ involves
additional release management work, and other additional
complications.  If the source code actually used is published, that
extra work does not need to be done by the image preparation team.  It
can be done by *anyone* who can get a sponsor for their upload.

It is great if the image preparation team do this work too.  But I
don't want them to feel they have to.  I also don't want a situation
to arise where, because that work hasn't been done, the source is
completely unavailable.

I'm afraid I'm not offering to write the image-script-autopublication
patch.  But those who are complaining about lack of timely provision
of source code should write that patch, rather than moaning.

Those who are complaining about the packages in the archive being out
of date should step forward and volunteer to take over doing the
uploads.

Ian.