Re: Debian built from non-Debian sources

Jonas wrote:
>Quoting Andrey Rahmatullin (2017-07-16 19:28:06)
>> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 07:05:10PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> > Is our install images excepmt from our Policy that all dependencies must
>> > be in Debian, or am I mistaken that we have such Policy?
>> Do we?  The Debian Policy covers only debs.
>> Also, dak isn't in the archive either.
>
>I thought Policy covered what we distribute - which excludes dak but
>includes libisofs code embedded in installer images.

Can you identify any code at all from libisofs which is embedded in
the images? I'm honestly not aware of any.

I've been using upstream versions of xorriso on-and-off over the last
few years, accepting assistance from the (very helpful!) upstream
author Thomas Schmitt when trying to debug thorny issues like hybrid
BIOS/UEFI booting.

The exact behaviour that we've worked out in some cases has needed
upstream tweaks, and we've needed those tweaks from time to time in
what we've released.

>Do we have any Policy on installer images?  If e.g. our netinst or live
>images contain non-DFSG-but-free-to-distribute code would that be only a
>wishlist bug, not a Policy violation?

That would be a serious bug IMHO - please raise any as you find them.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt