Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 05:12:07AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:

> > That's indeed an interesting issue. Currently, ifupdown doesn't rename
> > interfaces. You could add a line like:
> >
> > 	post-up ip link set $IFACE name $LOGICAL
> >
> > Which will do what you want, except ifupdown doesn't track interface
> > renames this way and will get very confused. In particular, ifdown will
> > not work anymore. So some code should be added to ifupdown to support
> > interface renaming.
>
> This is what I assumed your new code does -- it seemed an obvious and
> natural thing to do.

Well, it just matched an existing interface to a logical iface stanza,
it didn't need to rename anything. The use case is anything outside of
ifupdown and its plugins that might use interface names, such as for
example netfilter-persistent.

> As Ben noticed, the post-up stanza above can't work as Linux doesn't allow
> renaming interfaces at that point. It can't work in pre-up either as
> ifupdown wouldn't know about the rename.

Ah, indeed.

> Thus, what about this:
> auto mac/00:16:0a:26:99:c6/=en0
> iface en0 inet6 static
> 	address 3:1415:9265:3589:7932:3846:2643:3832/64
> 	gateway 3:1415:9265:3589::1
> 	rename
>
> With the rename command taking an optional argument (the new name) that
> defaults to the logical name (ie, after =).

Yes, that should be implementable.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>