Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 01:45:25PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> The remaining problem is to make ifupdown do device matching on other
> (and hopefully more stable) attributes than the device name.

This is not impossible to do. I actually have some code to make ifupdown
use interface matching, I'm afraid I was too late in the stretch cycle
to have a well-tested implementation. I will try to add this early in
buster so it can be tested properly and any kinks resolved.

It's not completely trivial to implement since there are many places
where interface names are used (auto <ifname>, iface <ifname>, inherits
<ifname>, and on the commmand line), the kernel allows names like
"eth*", et cetera. And being consistent with other network configuration
systems like NetworkManager and systemd would be nice too.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>