Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:25:22PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > This will match any interface that has MAC address 01:23:45:67:89:ab,
> > > and will use the "foo" stanzas to configure it.
> >
> > Awesome!  This sounds like the best solution so far.

As Adam discovered, there was still a bug preventing this from actually
working for allow-* interfaces, but a fix has just been uploaded.

> It is indeed Very Cool, but it might not solve one little thing:
> iptables firewalling.
>
> Is that a way to trigger an ifrename using this, so that the network
> device ends up being named "foo" ?

That's indeed an interesting issue. Currently, ifupdown doesn't rename
interfaces. You could add a line like:

	post-up ip link set $IFACE name $LOGICAL

Which will do what you want, except ifupdown doesn't track interface
renames this way and will get very confused. In particular, ifdown will
not work anymore. So some code should be added to ifupdown to support
interface renaming.

Note that there is a package called "ifrename" that has a nice way of
configuring interface renaming, and works independently of your init
system, udev et cetera. But I can see how it would be nice to have
renaming integrated in ifupdown.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>