A proposal for a tool to build local testing debs (was: Re: infinite number of Debian workflows)

Sean Whitton writes ("A proposal for a tool to build local testing debs (was: Re: infinite number of Debian workflows)"):
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:21:35PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > It would be best if the user would just pass an option to say `pls
> > pick version number' and some tool would make a reasonable stab at it.
>
> How about a new dgit subcommand 'build-deb' which does this:
>
> - create a new git worktree somewhere temporary
> - in that worktree:
>   - git checkout -b dgit-build-deb
>   - gbp dch -S --since=dgit/dgit/foo --ignore-branch --commit
>   - dpkg-buildpackage -uc -b
> - move .deb from temporary_worktree/.. to ..
> - delete dgit-build-deb branch & temporary worktree

Doing a whole build in a hidden directory somewhere is rather poor I
think.  Also this doesn't work well with
sbuild/pbuilder/cowbuilder/whatever.  And we're still left with the
multiarch awkwardness.

But this is a direction worth exploring.

Ian.