Re: infinite number of Debian workflows (Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?)

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 03:07:42PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Areas of work that could do with attention from people with relevant
> expertise and effort:
>
>  * Getting rid of the need to mess with the changelog.  That might
>    involve changes to Debian changelog practice, or better tooling (eg
>    yet another wrapper around dpkg-buildpackage - maybe a way to set
>    the version without committing? - etc. etc.)

A way to set the version during the build, as you suggest, would be
sufficient to cover this.  It is hard to see how we could relieve the
user of the need to understand how to choose a version number for a .deb
for testing.  An option to set the version in the build command line
would remove the need for Debian source package knowledge.

>  * Pull request workflow for submitting changes.  This should
>    eventually turn into a bug submission to the Debian BTS.
>    This sounds to me like it probabl needs to be a web service, but
>    perhaps some local client utility that looked enough like a web
>    page would do.

We basically already have all the pieces:

- git-request-pull(1)
- reportbug(1)
- git hosting on alioth / our shiny pagure git hosting (coming soon)

dgit could ship a script that ties these together.  (The reason I suggest
using our own git hosting is so that the branch doesn't disappear -- one
advantage of patches in the BTS is that they can't 404.)

--
Sean Whitton