Tools to submit PRs against Debian (was: Re: infinite number of Debian workflows)

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:21:35PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Sean Whitton writes ("Re: infinite number of Debian workflows (Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?)"):
> > A way to set the version during the build, as you suggest, would be
> > sufficient to cover this.  It is hard to see how we could relieve the
> > user of the need to understand how to choose a version number for a .deb
> > for testing.  An option to set the version in the build command line
> > would remove the need for Debian source package knowledge.
>
> It would be best if the user would just pass an option to say `pls
> pick version number' and some tool would make a reasonable stab at it.

Ah, I see, that would indeed be nice.

> > >  * Pull request workflow for submitting changes.  This should
> > >  eventually turn into a bug submission to the Debian BTS.  This
> > >  sounds to me like it probabl needs to be a web service, but
> > >  perhaps some local client utility that looked enough like a web
> > >  page would do.
> >
> > We basically already have all the pieces:
> >
> > - git-request-pull(1)
> > - reportbug(1)
> > - git hosting on alioth / our shiny pagure git hosting (coming soon)
> >
> > dgit could ship a script that ties these together.  (The reason I suggest
> > using our own git hosting is so that the branch doesn't disappear -- one
> > advantage of patches in the BTS is that they can't 404.)
>
> I'm not sure that a command-line tool is what our target audience for
> this would be looking for.  But contributions certainly welcome.

Hmm, I hadn't thought that it was the text-only nature of the interface
that is proving off-putting.  I thought it was purely the workflow.

What I described could be wrapped up in a webapp or a desktop GUI --
reportbug already has one.

I think we would need to see how pagure pans out before writing any code
for this, as it might work as some sort of plug-in.

--
Sean Whitton