Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

On 05/18/2017 12:32 PM, Sean Whitton wrote:
> Hello Zlatan,
> [...]
>
> The community consensus seems to be that we want to promote ourselves,
> but we care more about providing quality information than do the people
> who designed sites like lxde.org (sorry to keep using that example).
> This consensus position is itself a value of our community, and an
> aspect of its identity.

lxde page is bad, I didn't say anything about the quality of information
on it but I do think (and would love to be proven otherwise) that
average Joe of 2017 will feel more appealed towards lxde page than our
debian.org. I do agree that quality shouldn't suffer but than we do have
a lot of out-of-date docs, Arch wiki being much better than our own etc
etc. We need to improve the quality overall and make it more accessible
to everyone and that includes people who use modern workflows/moder
views/designs etc. Or run a huge global survey what people want to see
from Debian...

>>> We have Linux, HURD and the FreeBSD kernel, though.  I suspect the
>>> thought was Debian hopes its practices, values and community will
>>> outlive any specific kernel, just like they could outlive apt/dpkg.
>>>
>> You could add the quote on which I quoted (lxde page doesn't say it can
>> be installable on linux) so my comment makes more sense
> Sorry, I'm still not sure what you mean.

I mentioned Linux because it was previously mentioned that LXDE page
doesn't mention it can be installed on Linux (and afaik it can be also
on FreeBSD/Hurd?).