Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?

Hi Holger,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:12:53PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 10:19:24PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > In short:  There is no doubt that Git is the better VCS but spending
> > developer time simply to switch lots of packages from an old VCS to a
> > modern one has zero effect on users desktops and has no high priority.
>
> I think that in the mid-term (probably even in short term) you'll *save*
> developer time by switching to git,

And your thinking is based on what arguments?  As I tried to explain I'm
perfectly convinced that Git is way better in most cases - but those
superior features are not needed in all cases.  The only thing that would
save me some time in the cases I mentioned is that I from time to time
type

       svn commit -a
       git commit -a

if I actually mean

       svn commit

:-)

> And also you're imposing a stupid tool to anyone who wants to help out or
> do security fixes.

Hmmm, if those packages received any NMUs the NMUer never commited
anything anyway - so this argument is void.

> I'd be happy if Debian would enforce git for every source package now!

I'm willing to adapt to such decision but I feel my time totally wasted
to do a SVN versus Git flamewar (and this is my last mail regarding
this).

> Debian aims to be the universal OS, but that doesn't mean we have to support
> an universe of workflows and tools.

Surely we doesn't have to support various workflows but these have
developed over the time and I never had the impression that changes
in Debian happened with dead beat arguments.

> Everybody should be using version
> control for their packages. Really.

I fully agree and I'm known for team highjacking packages into Git
repositories in several cases (and was also critizised about doing so).

> And probably we should all just use git.

If we really could agree upon a common workflow I will definitely adapt.
But there is no such agreement as far as I can see.  Please take my
previous mail rather as an explanation for the current state than my
definite wish to keep the status quo under any circumstance.

> And work together nicely.

+1

Kind regards

     Andreas.