Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 10:19:24PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> In short:  There is no doubt that Git is the better VCS but spending
> developer time simply to switch lots of packages from an old VCS to a
> modern one has zero effect on users desktops and has no high priority.

I think that in the mid-term (probably even in short term) you'll *save*
developer time by switching to git, so that actually right now your choice
to not switch to git has an effect on users desktops: they get stuff later.

And also you're imposing a stupid tool to anyone who wants to help out or
do security fixes.

I'd be happy if Debian would enforce git for every source package now!

git clone https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/${srcpkg}.git is really
awesome and works for every package in Fedora! (*)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines says:

----
 Spec Maintenance and Canonicity

Fedora's git repository is the canonical location for Fedora spec files.
Maintainers MUST expect that other maintainers and automated tooling will
make changes to their packages, potentially without communicating prior to
doing so (though communication is always encouraged). If some maintainers
are also attempting to keep copies of a spec in an outside repository, they
MUST be prepared to merge changes made to the spec in Fedora's repository,
and MUST NOT overwrite those changes with a copy from an external repository
or using fedpkg import.
----

Debian aims to be the universal OS, but that doesn't mean we have to support
an universe of workflows and tools. Everybody should be using version
control for their packages. Really. And probably we should all just use git.
And work together nicely.

--
cheers,
	Holger

(*) even though I wonder why it's not even more simply
    git.fedoraproject.org/git/${srcpkg} ;)