Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?

Hi Mattia,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 10:38:41PM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> I wonder...
> The problem here is about fusionforge only, in fact.
> If we were to move git (i.e. the vast majority of its usage) to another
> place, and took down fusionforge (i.e. no more guest user management), I
> do not think there is a reason to shut down the rest.
> SVN could stay there, with viewvc and everything, and let packages and
> project migrate whenever they need something not provided by old-alioth
> (f.e. direct contribution from a non-DD that won't be possible without
> fusionforge running to create its user and dealing with groups).

I like this suggestion.

> @tille: please have a look at pkg-haskell and their DHG_packages
> repository.  I've never interacted with it, and I find it highly unusual
> and non-standard that I doubt the usual tooling can deal with it, but it
> might of ispiration about how to deal with R packages maybe?

I confirm that I once had a short look into DHG_packages and I vaguely
considered this as a potential solution for R packages.  What keeps me
away from implementing it is that it also includes a change of workflows
(not only of users but also tools that are inspecting VCS need to be
rewritten).  So for the moment not to change a running system is my
prefered way to go - but thanks for the hint anyway.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de