Re: "Ask HN: What do you want to see in Ubuntu 17.10?"

Recently bought the newest Dell inspiron. Everything works out of the box. Didn't play much with HDMI. Know fo sure that video works. With recent kernel update (Debian testing) even screen rotation works. I am personally very happy.

-Pavlo Solntsev

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Florian Lohoff <f@zz.de> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 04:07:54PM -0700, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Maybe I'm just exceedingly unlucky, but I have yet to find a laptop
> where all of the following works:
>
> - Suspend
> - Hibernate
> - Airplane-mode Hotkey (especially hard apparently)
> - Volume Hotkeys
> - Brightness Hotkeys
> - Suspend/hibernate hotkeys
> - Hot-plug of external monitor

I have been using IBM/Lenovo T Series for > 15 Years and never had major
issues. Given that with APM nobody expected suspend/resume to work,
optimus grafic is a PITA and a waste of money. I have a T420 currently
where everything works, we have tons of T460 at work and dont have any issues.

There is stuff which does not work - Hot Plug Monitor for example
is an issue. With digital ports e.g. HDMI/DVI/DP this typically
works out of the box - The new display gets detected - The point
is that for me the only desktop which remembered the Display positions
was gnome2 - Its broken since then. So when i dock at work i have
a shell script which uses xrandr to shuffle displays around.

Hotkeys for Suspend/Resume get more or less redundant as the typical
Desktop environment login/logout procedures contain all the
functionality.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f@zz.de