Re: "Ask HN: What do you want to see in Ubuntu 17.10?"

On Apr 06 2017, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org> wrote:
> Nikolaus Rath dijo [Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 03:18:57PM -0700]:
>> >
>> > Me too.  I guess it depends very much on whether one can afford to buy
>> > a good laptop which works well with Linux.
>>
>> I think there's a pre-requisite that's much harder for a lot of people:
>> finding out what laptop works well with Linux. This is the stage where I
>> have repeatedly failed - the differences in model numbers are just too
>> tiny and subtle, and typically things that work well are no longer sold
>> commercially.
>
> FWIW it's been a long time since I had any problems in this regard,
> and I'm surprised it's still an issue among knowledgeable people by
> 2017!

Maybe I'm just exceedingly unlucky, but I have yet to find a laptop
where all of the following works:

- Suspend
- Hibernate
- Airplane-mode Hotkey (especially hard apparently)
- Volume Hotkeys
- Brightness Hotkeys
- Suspend/hibernate hotkeys
- Hot-plug of external monitor

>From memory, some of the models I tried and found lacking: Asus EeePC,
Lenovo Carbon X1, HP Elitebook from ~3 years ago, HP Elitebook from just
now.

Suggestions for the next purchase are welcome :-).

(but probably better off-list)

Best,
-Nikolaus

--
GPG Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F