Re: "Ask HN: What do you want to see in Ubuntu 17.10?"

On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 11:18 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Not AFAIK. I would guess that needrestart would need to be promoted
> to standard priority and needrestart-session would need to be added
> to tasksel's task-desktop package, or to each of the task-*-desktop
> packages; this adds wxWidgets to the default install though. The
> latter would allow different desktops to add different
> implementations, for example if someone wrote a GNOME Shell extension
> to highlight windows of applications that need restarting.

The original thread HN thread that trigged this was more about personal
machines, ie laptops and tablets.  That is were I'm coming from anyway.
 As it happens, Steve McIntyre was looking at the server side and
specifically excluded laptop's from his auto install security patch
deliberations, so nominally there isn't an overlap.

As far as I can tell, for laptop's rebooting is a non-issue mainly
because suspend is not reliable enough to use safely [0] - so they are
rebooted every day.  Ergo just fixing bug #744753 would be the cure if
it is indeed the problem - but it doesn't sound like it to me as this
isn't a suspend issue.

The itch I'm trying scratch is I've convinced some co-workers to ditch
Windows for Linux.  All our infrastructure and development is done
under Linux, so it makes sense.  For the most part it works very well,
apart from the 3 issues I raised earlier.  Fortunately they don't use
the tablet mode and they don't have HDPI displays, so they aren't
issues for them.  But the not installing security updates thing means I
have to remember do it for them.

[0] By "not safe" I mean suspend can destroy hardware.  Not directly of
    course.  The first issue is modern laptops have so much DRAM it
    can drain the battery overnight, which makes suspend pretty useless
    if you are expecting it to reliably save your work.  The solution
    is put the laptop into hibernate mode if it's been suspended too
    long.  This works mostly - but it has one disastrous failure mode.
    It must wake the laptop up to put it into hibernate mode but
    sometimes it doesn't wake successfully. The result is the
    motherboard is powered up, the laptop is in the bag with no
    ventilation and the thing cooks.