Re: "Ask HN: What do you want to see in Ubuntu 17.10?"

On Fri, 2017-03-31 at 21:48 +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> There's a very active conversation happening on Hacker News right
> now entitled «What do you want to see in Ubuntu 17.10?»:
>
>   https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14002821
>
> I haven't read every comment yet, but are there any feature requests
> that seem particularly relevant to us?
>
> (As a meta-comment, I was quite struck by the number of requests that
> should "obviously" be requested upstream instead. I wouldn't want to
> label this as "wrong" but I think this might speak to the different
> perception we have towards the upstream → distro → user
> relationship.)

I was fascinated to see the two top ones were also my two top ones.
But both are upstream issues.

The first is better HDPI handling.  This will require Wayland as X11
simply can't handle connecting to monitors with wildly different DPI
settings. But even just handling HDPI is problematic - fixing it with
my 300 dpi screen took multiple manual hacks including in Gimp's case
installing an icon pack not available in Debian.

The second was better gesture recognition.  I'd put onscreen keyboard
into that basket too.  This in particular effects 2in1 laptops - those
a standard OS (ie, Windows / Linux) but can be both touch only or touch
+ keyboard.  At the low end things appear to be in the process of
wiping out tablets, which is good for us.  But because the onscreen
keyboard doesn't work and gestures aren't supported uniformly well by
all apps these things aren't usable currently, and they have to be
usable out of the box with a standard install - just like Windows
manages to do.

Note these two cover the largest growth groups - the very low end, and
laptops with HPDI monitors.

The third one that got my attention is security updates that can be
trusted to work on a standard desktop install.  Where we take the
approach that creating our own security patches is just too hard, this
means stable must just follow upstream (like Firefox ESR),
automagically.  They don't do this reliably now for the default
install, even with unattended-grades, on a machine that's
intermittently on. This one is definitely in our court, and it's an
absolute must IMO, but is been already been discussed to death here.