Re: SPAM

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:26:00PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
Christopher Clements <bcnjr5@gmail.com> writes:

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:55:14AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
Christopher Clements <bcnjr5@gmail.com> writes:
On closer examination, I think you are correct in saying that the
replies are written by the spammer as well.

On closer examination of what?

The "To:" field.

Ah, yes, a very common misconception.

I love it when an email includes "common misconception":
it usually means I'm about to get a little smarter.

All the headers that email programs normally show you are part of the
(trivial to forge) contents of the message.

I have mutt configured to let me edit the headers along with the
message, but I thought that stuff like the "To:" field were read by SMTP
servers to determine where to deliver the message, sort of like post
office relay boxes.

I was under the assumption that if I wrote a message with
"To: Alice Bob <hello@example.com>" and sent it to mail.google.com, the
server would pass it on to example.com (or the MX record).
Sort of like every SMTP server is a post office.

--
GPG Key: 0769 AFCF 681E F61E 2137  F4CB 5044 1726 610D 5AE0