Re: SPAM

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:55:14AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
Christopher Clements <bcnjr5@gmail.com> writes:
On closer examination, I think you are correct in saying that the
replies are written by the spammer as well.

On closer examination of what?

The "To:" field.

The headers of the mail you're apparently complaining about look pretty
genuinely like the mail really did come from gmail, so are you
suggesting that 'The Illuminati <trainjohnson87@gmail.com>' is the spammer?

That looks like a genuine person -- I cannot imagine a spammer creating
supporting evidence for a spamming account.  e.g.: https://twitter.com/trainjohnson87

Note that that twitter account appears to belong to someone called
Anthony, which matches the salutation in the Spam that he then replied
to.

Your explanation makes more sense.  Please disregard my (mostly baseless)
suspicion.

Perhaps they simply want to waste space in archives?
Not much of a motive/goal, but I get the feeling that the perpetrator
doesn't have much of a life to start with.

It seems very plain to me that the spammers are recycling headers from
our list mail on the basis that gmail's anti-spam will have learned that
as HAM, and are so are more likely to let that pass through.

That then provokes a small fraction of the victims to shout at us,
because they don't know ho to read headers.

That is what you are seeing.

Are you saying that these messages were not sent to
<debian-devel@lists.debian.org> and relayed to subscribers, but were
instead forged to look like they were?

--
GPG Key: 0769 AFCF 681E F61E 2137  F4CB 5044 1726 610D 5AE0