Re: Help requested: Packages which FTBFS randomly

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 01:57:52AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> * single-CPU machines have gone the way of the dodo.  Even the crummiest
>   machine I could find while dumpster-diving looking for a non-sse3 one
>   already has HT and builds your examples successfully.  Same for ARM SoCs
>   -- my RPi1 is kaputt, and anything newer has multiple cores.  This, I'd
>   say it's a waste of time to care about _building_ on single CPU.

/me looks lovingly at the PowerPC G4 Mac Mini propping up his display. I
wonder if I should consider registering as a porter...

How uncommon are single CPU virtual machines? Or containers with resource
constraints to one CPU or something similar? I think that is at least as
relevant as the availability of (new) uniprocessor hardware.

None of the FTBFS problems I've seen in this thread have been because the
tests *required* multiple cores, by the way; more so that they were racy
or buggy in some other fashion. If uniprocessor buildds are finding these
bugs then that's a virtue, IMHO.

--
Jonathan Dowland