Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!

On 20 January 2017 at 06:01, Kushal Kumaran <kushal@locationd.net> wrote:
Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Michael Stapelberg writes ("Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!"):
>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Ian Jackson
>> <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> > mariner:~> curl -s 'https://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=make&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+8+jessie&format=html&locale=en' | grep debiman
>> > mariner:~>
>>
>> You’re querying the old software of manpages.debian.org which will be
>> turned down soon.
>
> I got that page as follows:
>
> Type into my browser address bar
>   https://manpages.debian.org/
> This redirects to
>   https://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi
> and then if I type in details I get a url like the above.
>
> Hrm.
>
> I just looked with HEAD(1) and I don't get the redirect.
>
> Is it possible that there was previously a permanent redirect issued
> from the toplevel URL to this cgi-bin one ?  I'm not sure how to
> bypass such a thing.

What web browser are you using?  A few ways to clear out old
301-redirects in Firefox are discussed here:
https://superuser.com/questions/467999/clear-301-redirect-cache-in-firefox

This weekend I will modify the CGI so that it redirects to the new (static) content for users that at some point still go to the old one. It seems that the redirects get cached in the browser permanently because I (wrongly) used 301 redirects instead of 302 in the previous configuration. It also happens to me in my Android phone.

The current way to avoid is:

- Acces http://manpages.debian.org/? (notice the '?' at the end)
- Clear the browser's cache.

Best regards