Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!

Michael Stapelberg writes ("Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!"):
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Ian Jackson
> > Also, I think the exact running version of Debian services should be
> > publicly available.  And, unless this is made so easy that the service
> > operators don't have to think about it, it will always fall behind.
> > So I think this should be done automatically.
>
> All pages on manpages.debian.org already include the git revision at
> the bottom of the page, e.g.:
>
> debiman c17f615, see github.com/Debian/debiman

mariner:~> curl -s 'https://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=make&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+8+jessie&format=html&locale=en' | grep debiman
mariner:~>

> Hence, you can already check out the exact running version. Is that
> not sufficient?

I'm afraid not (even supposing that the lack of the commitid is just a
bug).  For a debian.org service, I would like to be able to check out
the running version without interacting with a proprietary online
service.

Also, what stops (answer might be workflow, technology, whatever) an
operator who is in a hurry directly updating the running copy without
pushing to github ?

As I say, I don't want to impose more work on you because of my outre'
ethical views.  I would like to solve this problem by providing a
patch that causes debiman to copy its source and its git history to
its own output.  That way you would have to do nothing.

> > If we created a pseudopackage in the Debian bug system, would you use
> > it instead ?  It's one thing to use github as a generic git hosting
> > server but I really don't want us to be constructing our issue tracker
> > data in github's databases.
>
> I personally find the Debian bug system very uncomfortable to use. I
> will begrudgingly accept reports made via the BTS, as I do for the
> Debian packages I maintain. I don’t want to give up using GitHub’s
> issue tracker, though, for my convenience and the convenience of our
> users.

Using github as well is up to you.  I won't try to talk you out of it.
But I think for a service in the .debian.org namespace, bugs should be
reportable without interacting with a proprietary web service.

So thank you for agreeing to work with a system you don't find
comfortable.  You'll see that I have filed a bug against b.d.o
requesting the manpages.debian.org pseudopackage.

Ian.