Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!

Michael Stapelberg writes ("Re: manpages.debian.org has been modernized!"):
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Ian Jackson
> <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > mariner:~> curl -s 'https://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=make&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=Debian+8+jessie&format=html&locale=en' | grep debiman
> > mariner:~>
>
> You’re querying the old software of manpages.debian.org which will be
> turned down soon.

I got that page as follows:

Type into my browser address bar
  https://manpages.debian.org/
This redirects to
  https://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi
and then if I type in details I get a url like the above.

Hrm.

I just looked with HEAD(1) and I don't get the redirect.

Is it possible that there was previously a permanent redirect issued
from the toplevel URL to this cgi-bin one ?  I'm not sure how to
bypass such a thing.

> > Also, what stops (answer might be workflow, technology, whatever) an
> > operator who is in a hurry directly updating the running copy without
> > pushing to github ?
>
> People with the appropriate UNIX permissions (being part of the
> “manpages” group) can of course always circumvent any workflow or
> safe-guards which are put into place.

Of course.  But the question is: is circumventing this ever the
easiest way to fix things ?

My experience of running online services is that in a crisis it can
sometimes be most convenient (fastest!) to use some kind of ad-hoc
deployment method, up to and including editing the running code
directly in a text editor.

Obviously there are risks to that kind of thing, but I want the
service operator to think about keeping the service running, and *not*
to have to worry about publishing source code.

> > As I say, I don't want to impose more work on you because of my outre'
> > ethical views.  I would like to solve this problem by providing a
> > patch that causes debiman to copy its source and its git history to
> > its own output.  That way you would have to do nothing.
>
> To help me understand the implications of such a patch, can you point
> me to an existing implementation of such a patch in another service
> please?

dgit
  client
    https://browse.dgit.debian.org/dgit.git/tree/dgit#n6316
    (Currently broken in sid's dgit, 3.6, *sigh*, #851906)
  server side
    https://browse.dgit.debian.org/dgit.git/tree/infra/dgit-ssh-dispatch#n167
  docs, search for `clone-dgit-repos-server'
    https://manpages.debian.org/testing/dgit/dgit.1.en.html
  clone the server side for yourself
    git+ssh://dgit@push.dgit.debian.org/dgit/debian/repos/_dgit-repos-server.git
  NB this is the source to the special git server that `dgit push'
  talks to; browse.dgit.d.o is simply git repos published using cgit.

yarrg (yes, really, I have been known to play proprietary online
games, for which this is a fully Free helper service):
  intro docs for developers
    http://yarrg.chiark.net/devel
  source code
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~yarrgweb/git?p=ypp-sc-tools.web-live.git;a=blob;f=yarrg/web/source.tar.gz;h=0e47a83e38d755720427b9c453db6bed6cf33288;hb=HEAD