Re: "not authorised" doing various desktoppy things [and 1 more messages]

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 01:58:50PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> > > Including access to devices (which X wants these days)?
> >
> > That's just for ancient graphics cards (ie, with no KMS/DRM support)
> > without xserver-xorg-legacy, right?
>
> logind is required for drivers using KMS and *not* the legacy suid
> wrapper, see /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/NEWS.Debian.gz.

Nope, I don't have systemd (and thus logind) on any of my non-virtual
machines, I don't have xserver-xorg-legacy either, yet X works fine.

I've just pulled out the oldest box I have in my junk pile (a pre-amd64
Pentium4 with Intel 82915G/GV/910GL), installed current X on it -- works
fine without logind.  Non-KMS stuff you need xorg-legacy for sounds ISAish.
On the other hand, hurd which has no KMS does need xorg-legacy.

> I think wayland does the same (I haven't used it though).

Me neither.

> So eventually alternatives should probably provide an alternative for
> this part of logind too.

I guess that "relies on logind" part is true only under systemd?  At least,
other VT manipulating tools like "open" run into permissions problem there
too.

Meow!
--
Autotools hint: to do a zx-spectrum build on a pdp11 host, type:
  ./configure --host=zx-spectrum --build=pdp11