Re: libsystemd [was: Re: Is missing SysV-init support a bug?]

[2016-08-28 20:00] Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>

> part       text/plain                3207
> Dmitry Bogatov <kaction@ruggedinbox.com> writes:
>
> > Not to start flame or to advertize anything/anyone, but why to integrate
> > with 'runit' init system, your program should support foreground
> > operation and logging on stdout, and to integrate with systemd, it
> > should link with library?
> [...]
>
> To integrate with systemd, you don't have to use a library.  However, the
> library lets you do some really cool stuff that makes a systemd system
> work more reliably.  Most importantly (although not solely), it lets you
> explicitly tell systemd exactly when the daemon has fully started, so that
> the init system doesn't have to guess.

I can understand this need, although never needed it myself.

But implementation makes me sad. Instead of creating UNIX-way solution
(create /var/run/foo.ready, when you are ready?), it does the worst
thing I can imagine.

Thanks for sharing experience.

--
Accept: text/plain, text/x-diff