Re: Does anybody plan to keep using sbuild with Squeeze or older chroots?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:01:23PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

> > does anybody plan to use sbuild in Stretch with Debian Squeeze or older
> > chroots?
>
> Yes.

I'm actually not doing Debian packaging for it, but at work there still
are embedded machines running Lenny, where upgrading is simply not
possible without buying new hardware (not only a new motherboard and
CPU, but also I/O cards and so on).

> > I would like to remove some code from sbuild which is only useful
> > for chroots with very old apt inside (specifically apt without
> > support for [trusted=yes] in the sources.list). Maintaining this
> > piece of code takes lots of time and testing otherwise, which I
> > would avoid if it doesn't have users anymore.
>
> How annoying.

It's always annoying when old functionality is removed when there are
still users. I can understand that the sbuild maintainers don't want to
spend lot of time on it when there are only a few users. Is it possible
to keep the code in sbuild, but just declare it obsolete and untested?
As long as it keeps working it will keep its users happy.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>