Re: copyright precision

Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 02:30:58PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
>> I always use this as one argument when it comes to "Why should be care
>> about Debian? Our users use something else", that packaging includes a
>> careful review and documentation of the copyright.
> Usually only for the initial upload, though.

That is already a great plus. The majority of astronomy related packages
(my field) fall into two categories: Either they are quite old legacy
packages; they are large but don't change much anymore -- eso-midas is
an example here. Or, they are relatively young, with an enthusiastic
open-minded community in the back, like astropy. For the first category,
the upload is mainly a one-short (with later bugfixes), having the
initial upload clean is already the deal.

For the young projects, the discussion before the first upload usually
helps triggering the community to *care* about copyright and to document
it. So keeping it up-to-date is often not such a big problem.

The main advantage in any case is not the the resulting d/copyright
itself, but the discussion with upstream, which should lead to some
software ethics in our field. Having legal software is a value by
itself, and Debian just helps here to make the community sensitive for
this.

YMMV

Cheers

Ole