Re: copyright precision

On 15.08.2016 21:50, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2016 05:59:43 PM Simon McVittie wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 at 18:17:52 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>>> The problem we're having here is clearly about *tooling*. If we had a
>>> good toolchain to compile and audit machine-readable debian/copyright
>>> files without sweating, nobody would complain.
>>
>> I have three slightly devil's-advocate responses to that:
>>
>> * If we had a good toolchain to compile and audit this stuff, people
>>   and companies who want to know the copyright holders could just use
>>   that to inspect the upstream source code and cut out the middle-man.
>>
>> * Our copyright files are only correct inasmuch as upstream's copyright
>>   attribution is correct. I would guess that a large majority of patch
>>   submitters, even implementors of somewhat major features that are
>>   certainly copyrightable, don't actually add a copyright notice to the
>>   files they touched. I certainly don't do that 100% consistently for my
>>   own contributions; I'm careful to preserve *other people's* copyright
>>   notices and license grants if I incorporate someone else's code into a
>>   project, but I think I can confidently say that not all upstreams
>>   are even that conscientious.
>>
>> * I will continue to complain as long as my "source" packages are
>>   expected to contain 87kB monsters like
>>
>> <https://sources.debian.net/src/adwaita-icon-theme/3.20-3/debian/copyright/
>>> , which is fairly clearly not anyone's preferred form for modification, and
>> if we're being honest probably not really anyone's preferred form for
>> consumption either. (That file is actually generated, by the slightly less
>> offensive 11kB
>>
>> <https://sources.debian.net/src/adwaita-icon-theme/3.20-3/debian/copyright.
>> pl/>, because I really didn't want to insert the CC licenses by hand; but
>> Policy and ftp-master practice require the generated file to be part of the
>> source upload. See also <https://bugs.debian.org/768292>.)
>
> Personally, I think the bulk of the reason we should care about
> debian/copyright is to achieve license compliance.  For license compliance we
> need to reproduce the upstream copyright notice and license, so even if it was
> easy to download source and inspect with better tool, it does nothing to help
> what we need to do to keep the binary parts of the archive legal to
> distribute.

We would also achieve license compliance if we did it the way Fedora/Red
Hat have been doing it for years now. Not a single DFSG-approved license
requires us to reproduce its full license text in a new file called
debian/copyright, not even the BSD-licensed ones.

> I think your points are orthogonal to the reasons we do debian/copyright.
>
> Yes, copyright files are hard and unfun and we could use better tools, but I
> don't think anyone is writing or reviewing debian/copyright because they enjoy
> it.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Simon McVittie for
contributing to this thread. I completely agree with everything he has
written so far especially with the points presented at [1]

So yes, copyright files are hard and unfun but why should we continue to
write them the way we do if we are not legally bound to do so? Sure I
agree that a machine-readable copyright file that lists every
contributor and license would be preferable but in reality those files
get outdated very quickly and only a few maintainers really care about
updating this file after importing a new upstream release.

I still don't understand why we punish ourselves by reproducing every
license text verbatim if we could easily add every DFSG-approved license
to /usr/share/common-licenses and simply refer to it. Some people argue
that a Creative Commons license is not a common license but apparently
they have never packaged a game or multimedia application before. Get
rid of the distinction between common-licenses and DFSG-approved licenses.

Every DFSG-free license should be available on a Debian system. Full
stop. Don't require that people have to quote the same license text over
and over again in their packages. That would be a step forward.

Regards,

Markus

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/08/msg00181.html