Re: copyright precision

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 02:19:43AM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> AFAIK there are plans around sources.d.n to use the d/copyright files
> in Copyright-Format 1.0.  Currently they are browsable at
> https://sources.debian.net/copyright/ but IIRC some more analysis is
> planned.

We do have downstreams for machine-readable debian/copyright files.

I'm in touch with companies who have used those to cross-check their
independent findings about copyright/licenses of source code that goes
into their end-user products. I haven't yet had time to watch Kate
Stewart's DebConf16 talk video [1], but her and other people at the
Linux Foundation are working in reusing our machine-readable copyright
information too.

[1]: https://debconf16.debconf.org/talks/100/

For the actual technical roadmap of sources.debian.net/copyright,
Orestis (Cc:-ed) might be more up to date than me --- or ask on
debian-qa@, where Debsources development is discussed.

The fact we do (or don't) have downstreams for copyright information of
course does not counter Simon's considerations in this thread about
being clear about why we do maintain that information.

For me personally it has always been a very natural self-imposed duty:
as package maintainers we have to check copyright/license of all files
to ensure we do not distribute non-DFSG stuff; compiling a list of
extracted information to better keep an eye on how it evolves over time
seems a good practice; and if you're going to have a list it's much
better to make it readable by a computer.

The problem we're having here is clearly about *tooling*. If we had a
good toolchain to compile and audit machine-readable debian/copyright
files without sweating, nobody would complain. We have improved a lot
over time here (cme and lintian checks comes to mind), but there's still
a long way to go. FOSSology integration in Debian seems the natural next
step here. I believe Kate talked about that too in her DebConf16 talk.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . zack@upsilon.cc . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o