Re: synaptics vs libinput and GNOME 3.20 no longer supporting synaptics

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 07:48:44AM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 09:36:16AM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> > Briefly: synaptics is much better touchpad driver than libinput.
>
> For me, the opposite is true. After Raphael's mail yesterday, I
> switched from the synaptics driver to the xinput one (by removing
> xserver-xort-input-synaptics) and since then, I've not had a single
> case of moving the mouse or clicking by tapping by accident. When the
> opposite change happened a few weeks ago, the accidents started
> happening with such frequency that I could barely finish a sentence in
> the same window I started it. As a result, I started pulling out my
> hair and when I had no hair left on my head, I switched to an external
> mouse. The doctors say I should make a complete hair-recovery and my
> barber is very happy about that.
>
> So for me, the "palm detection" that the xinput driver does, is very
> much better than what the synaptics driver does. This might be because
> the xinput driver is less smart than the synaptics one, but the end
> result for me is a massively better user experience. Tapping and
> two-finger scrolling work perfectly fine with the xinput driver, too.

(Note, I don't think the drivers do anything wrt palm detection and
other things)

It's just probably that your config didn't have palm detection enabled
with the synaptics driver. `synclient | grep PalmDetect` would tell you.

Mike