Re: synaptics vs libinput and GNOME 3.20 no longer supporting synaptics

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 09:36:16AM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> Briefly: synaptics is much better touchpad driver than libinput.

For me, the opposite is true. After Raphael's mail yesterday, I
switched from the synaptics driver to the xinput one (by removing
xserver-xort-input-synaptics) and since then, I've not had a single
case of moving the mouse or clicking by tapping by accident. When the
opposite change happened a few weeks ago, the accidents started
happening with such frequency that I could barely finish a sentence in
the same window I started it. As a result, I started pulling out my
hair and when I had no hair left on my head, I switched to an external
mouse. The doctors say I should make a complete hair-recovery and my
barber is very happy about that.

So for me, the "palm detection" that the xinput driver does, is very
much better than what the synaptics driver does. This might be because
the xinput driver is less smart than the synaptics one, but the end
result for me is a massively better user experience. Tapping and
two-finger scrolling work perfectly fine with the xinput driver, too.

--
Schrödinger's backup hypothesis: the condition of any backup is
undefined until a restore is attempted. -- andrewsh