Re: synaptics vs libinput and GNOME 3.20 no longer supporting synaptics

On Mon, 2016-07-11 at 23:51 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Well, if some KDE/XFCE/etc. packages work only with synaptics and not
> with libinput, then we should get those packages updated to depend on
> xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, no?

I don't know about KDE/XFCE, but in the etc category is LXDE, and it
works with both.  I'd be surprised if KDE and XFCE didn't work with
both too as libinput and synaptics are drivers, and as such are hidden
by the X API these window managers use.  The surprising thing for me is
GNOME evidently isn't using the X API, but instead talking to the
driver directly.

In my case, the thing that broke when xserver-xorg briefly switched to
using libinput instead of synaptics wasn't LXDE, it was me.  The
reasons are spelled out in the bug that was filed when the change was
made:

Briefly: synaptics is much better touchpad driver than libinput.
 Libinput treats a touchpad as a mouse.  Modern MAC like touchpads are
great input devices, but when you strip them of multitouch and gesture
recognition they become so unwieldly people give up and plug in a real
mouse.