Re: Genesis of the git.d.o/gitlab.d.o confusion (Was: Next steps for gitlab.debian)

On Wed, 2016-06-08 at 20:29 +0530, Balasankar C wrote:
> Tell me an "easy" way to do merging in alioth,

I think perhaps it hasn't been made clear to folks on this thread that
gitlab is more like a github style thing (with a webui for PRs and
whatnot) rather than a more "traditional"/"simple" git hosting service
(like gitorious et al) used by people with ML driven development models
(who use "git send-email", "git pull-request" and "git am" etc and only
need push and pull from their service).

At least I assume that's what gitlab is based on what I'm infering from
what some folks are skirting around on this thread, perhaps someone who
is familiar with gitlab can comment.

(Iain was asking why people host only use alioth for simple git hosting
hate it, so your response was something of a non sequitur in that
context because you began talking about a usecase which is more than
simple git hosting)

Ian.